Friday, July 8, 2011

2009 St. Supery Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc




Norm's Tasting Notes
by: Norm Bentley
North Georgia Wine Advisor
normwine@bellsouth.net




2009 St. Supery Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
#nb-24-11


I recently had lunch with an old friend of mine who is in the wine business. We have known each other in the wine trade for over twenty years, and he is one of the good guys, an "honest salesman". We met for lunch at Ray's On The River, which is right on the banks of the Chattahoochee River. The heat was in the nineties and that river sure looked inviting on such a hot day.

I have been to Ray's many times in the past, but not for several years. I am happy to report that the lunch was as good as in the good old days, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I had grilled Georges Bank Scallops and they were terrific The wine also was a great choice for the scallops, it was the 2009 St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley.

St. Supery has been in operation for several decades, and produces highly renowned estate grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc. The winery is family owned by the Skalli's of France, who planted the vineyards in Bordeaux grapes in the early eighties. This Sauvignon Blanc is somewhat Bordeaux - like, although it is 100% Sauvignon Blanc, rather than a Bordeaux style blend, and possesses some of the California "grassy" characteristics found in Sauvignon Blancs from Napa.

The 2009 St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc opens with a heady bouquet, which transfers into mixed flavors of citrus and green apple, with the aforementioned grassy overtones. It is delighfully flavorful with a clean dry finish, and was an excellent accompaniment to my Georges Bank Scallops. The wine is well balanced between the fruit and the acidity and would be a good pair for almost any seafood dish.

I enjoyed my lunch with my old friend, and I enjoyed the wine so much, that I stopped on the way home to pick up a bottle to share with the "Chardonnay Queen" the next time we have Gulf Shrimp, which won't be too soon for me! (I really enjoy Sauvignon Blanc more than Chardonnay, but don't tell my wife.)

Norm's score is 90.


Price: $16 to $20
Score: 90

Norm

Norm's Tasting Notes can also be accessed at his Blog: http://normwine.blogspot.com/

Norm's Tasting Notes available online at either:
dawsontimes.com
cumminghome.com
pineisland-eagle.com
thecherokeeconnection.com







WINE - God's proof of his love for humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment