Friday, November 9, 2012

2009 Ruffino Il Ducale Tuscana


Norm's Tasting Notes
by: Norm Bentley
North Georgia Wine Advisor
normwine@bellsouth.net





2009 Ruffino Il Ducale Tuscana IGT
#nb-41-12


First let me say that my love affair with Ruffino wines goes back to my childhood days in Napa. Second, let me say that I have been in love with Sangiovese since my first glass of Chianti with a plate of spaghetti at age ten. And, finally let me confess that the wines from Tuscany rival my favorites from anywhere in the world. With all of that said, I must tell you that the 2009 Ruffino Il Ducale Tuscana IGT is just one more addition to my list of praise worthy wines from Ruffino. Labeled by some a Super Tuscan, this is a blend of 60% Sangiovese, 20% Merlot, and 20% Syrah, and is almost too good for a plate of spaghetti, but not quite.

Of course when you are talking about my homemade marinara sauce, you are not just talking about a plain old plate of spaghetti. It takes a sturdy bottle of wine to stand up to all that tomato and garlic, and this one does the job. The nose is bright and clear and suggests cassis and spice. The flavors highlight cherry and a tinge of dark berry jam. The finish is spicy with a hint of pepper from the Syrah, and just enough acidity to cut through the tomato sauce.

While I don't know why you would not like this bottle of wine with spaghetti, you might like it even better with eggplant parmesan. Norm's score is 90.

Score: 90
Price: $16 - $20

Norm

Norm's Tasting Notes can also be accessed at his Blog: http://normwine.blogspot.com/

Norm's Tasting Notes available online at either:
dawsontimes.com
cumminghome.com
pineisland-eagle.com







WINE - God's proof of his love for humanity




No comments:

Post a Comment